The folks over at Evergreen are busy getting ready for their 1.4 release. Apparently, the first release candidate will be ready for the end of September. In the meantime, they’ve also posted a video preview of their new acquisition system, which will be released in version 2.0.
I installed VuFind this morning, which was quick and painless. The only small snag I hit was with my chosen MySQL password, which included a ‘&’ character. The install script writes the password string to the config.ini file using a sed search-and-replace command. Unfortunately, the ‘&’ character in the “replace” part of the command inserts the original search string at that position (so sed -e “s/abba/cd&c/” would turn “abba” into “cdabbac”, as opposed to “cd&c”). I put together a quick-and-dirty one-line patch and fired it off to the mailing list.
I also checked out the SVN trunk of VuFind, Evergreen, and OpenSRF so that I may try both stable and development versions. I noticed that there’s still a need for an Evergreen ILS driver in VuFind, so I might make an attempt at putting one together.