After successfully importing our ~141 000 Innovative bib records into Evergreen two weeks ago, I finally got around to beating our ~300 000 Unicorn bib records into an importable state. They are now in our test Evergreen system. Working without a unique catalogue key and with too many duplicate TCNs (in 001 fields), my temporary solution was to whip up a simple Perl script that takes the MARCXML file and:
- Generates a unique ID for each record and puts it in a 002 field.
- Takes that unique ID and appends it to the existing TCN in the 001 field.
Perhaps that’s not the best solution, but at least it gave me the uniqueness that the default Unicorn export couldn’t. The entire process also allowed us a chance to clean up minor problems with a handful of records that had gone unnoticed for a while.
Now it’s onward and upward. I had a chance to sit down with cataloguers from our library and I’ve now got my hands on documentation that explains our libraries’ locations codes. With that information handy, I’m close to getting our the two import_holdings scripts functioning. Good times.